Tuesday 19 March 2013

Clever Art

It is a common misconception that art is always serious and all about painting on canvas. Art can be so much more than that - sometimes there's even a little bit of humour in art. Whilst I was reading the brilliant The Fault in Our Stars by John Green I came across a work of art created by René Magritte.


It translates from french as "This is not a pipe". Which, may seem like a contradiction at first but in fact, it is not a pipe, but a painting of a pipe. The idea was to challenge our perception. When asked "What is this?" People would say,"A pipe." Magritte would answer, "No, it's not. Just try to put tobacco in it."

Inspired by Magritte, I decided to go in search of some clever works of art and my findings were just brilliant.




















A lot of today's most popular art is clever or ironic. So, if you don't enjoy painting or drawing, don't let that stop you!  

Best wishes,
Czara

4 comments:

  1. Incredible. Not only do you have great taste in clever art, but you also have great taste in literature. I l o v e this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I can't begin to even comprehend the fact /the/ Aisling Leen just complimented ny taste in art and literature. Incredible indeed. Thank you grazing goat <3

      Delete
    2. Wait I am very sorry I spelled your second name wrong!!

      Delete